The Flute Society of Washington, Inc.
2021 Competitions (updated 8/1/2020)
Mid-Atlantic Flute Convention
February 20-21, 2021
General Competition Rules, applies to all competitions:
- All applicants must be current FSW members at the time the entry is submitted. If chosen as a finalist or to perform at the convention, applicants must also be current members at the time of the convention and register for the convention by January 25, 2021. To join the FSW or renew membership, go to fsw.net/membership/join-the-society. Note: The Young Artist Competition requires a full membership.
- All applicants must complete an online application through fsw.net. The application must be submitted by November 1, 2020 at 5:00 pm EST. No late entries will be accepted. Online applications accepted beginning August 1, 2020, 9:00 am EDT.
- If entering more than one competition, a separate application must be completed for each competition.
- Recording MUST be an mp3, mp4 or wav file. Video recordings will only be accepted for the final round.
- The recording should demonstrate the highest possible audio quality so your performance can be evaluated successfully. No speaking on the recording. Only a continuous performance of the entire work or movement is allowed. Recordings must not be edited or contain studio-produced effects. By uploading a music file, an applicant agrees their recording is continuous and unaltered.
- Results will be available online on the FSW website on or before January 6, 2021.
- Accompaniment is not required for any of the 2021 competitions. Performers should observe any rest under two complete measures, but rests longer than two measures may be skipped.
- Flutists may enter more than one competition but can only be selected to perform in one event or competition.
- A preliminary or final round performance in excess of the maximum performance time allotted WILL disqualify the applicant.
- Incomplete applications will be subject to disqualification.
- Application fees and membership dues are not refundable.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- All competitions EXCEPT the Young Artist Competition are limited to performers who live or attend school in the Mid-Atlantic States (Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, North Carolina, West Virginia, Washington, DC, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania).
The Collegiate Soloist Competition is for outstanding flutists under the age of 28 (as of February 1, 2021), who are enrolled as an undergraduate at a college, university, or conservatory located in a Mid-Atlantic state as defined above, or have their residence of record in a Mid-Atlantic state as defined above. Three selected finalists will be chosen to submit video recordings of their final round repertoire. These recordings may be streamed at the 2021 Virtual Mid-Atlantic Flute Convention. The video recording submission must be recorded in one continuous take. Cash prizes ($300, $200, and $100) will be awarded. Previous first prize winners are not eligible to participate. Accompaniment is not required for the 2021 competition.
- Application fee $25
- A preliminary round recording containing Jean Rivier, Concerto for Flute, movements 2 & 3.
- Final round repertoire: CPE Bach, Sonata in A minor for solo flute, ll. Allegro, Wq. 132 and Pierre-Octave Ferroud's Trois piecès pour flûte.