The Flute Society of Washington, Inc.
2021 Competitions (updated 8/1/2020)
Mid-Atlantic Flute Convention
February 20-21, 2021
General Competition Rules, applies to all competitions:
- All applicants must be current FSW members at the time the entry is submitted. If chosen as a finalist or to perform at the convention, applicants must also be current members at the time of the convention and register for the convention by January 25, 2021. To join the FSW or renew membership, go to fsw.net/membership/join-the-society. Note: The Young Artist Competition requires a full membership.
- All applicants must complete an application which includes an audio file through fsw.net. The application including audio file must be submitted by November 1, 2020 at 5:00 pm EST. No late entries will be accepted. Online applications accepted beginning August 1, 2020, 9:00 am EDT.
- If entering more than one competition, a separate application and recording must be completed for each competition.
- Audio recordings MUST be an mp3, mp4a, m4a or wav file. The final round for the 2021 Young Artist, Collegiate Soloist and the Student Honors competitions will be by video recording.
- The link to upload audio file(s) can be found on the registration confirmation email sent after the application has been submitted and fees paid.
- Recordings should demonstrate the highest possible audio quality so the performance can be evaluated successfully. No speaking on the recording. Only a continuous performance of the entire work or movement is allowed. Recordings must not be edited or contain studio-produced effects. By uploading an audition file, applicants agrees the recording is continuous and unaltered.
- Results will be available online on the FSW website on or before January 6, 2021.
- Accompaniment is not required for any of the 2021 competitions. Performers should observe any rest under two complete measures, but rests longer than two measures may be omitted.
- Flutists may enter more than one competition but can only be selected to perform in one event or competition.
- A preliminary or final round performance in excess of the maximum performance time allotted WILL disqualify the applicant.
- Incomplete applications will be subject to disqualification.
- Application fees and membership dues are not refundable.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- All competitions EXCEPT the Young Artist Competition are limited to performers who live or attend school in the Mid-Atlantic States (Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, North Carolina, West Virginia, Washington, DC, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania).
Guest Artist Master Class Performers
Flutists of the highest caliber will be selected to perform in an online master class at the convention. Flutists who performed on the 2020 guest artist master class are not eligible to participate in the 2021 master class. Applicants must reside or attend school in a Mid-Atlantic state as defined above. Accompaniment is not required for the 2021 competition.
- Application and fee, $25.
- Submit recording containing music the applicant wishes to perform in the class, if selected.
- Recording must not exceed 10 minutes.