The Flute Society of Washington, Inc.
Held at the Mid-Atlantic Flute Convention
February 15-16, 2020
General Competition Rules, applies to all competitions:
- All applicants must be current FSW members (the membership must be current through November 2019). Note: Young Artist Competition requires a full membership. You may join or renew at fsw.net.
- All applicants must complete an online application through fsw.net. The application must be submitted by Friday, November 1, 2019 at 5:00 pm EST. Online applications accepted beginning August, 1, 2019. No late entries will be accepted.
- If entering more than one competition, a separate application must be completed for each competition.
- Recording MUST be an mp3, mp4 or wav file. Video recordings not accepted.
- The recording should demonstrate the highest possible audio quality so your performance can be evaluated successfully. No speaking on the recording. Only a continuous performance of the entire work or movement is allowed. Recordings must not be edited or contain studio-produced effects. By uploading a music file, an applicant agrees their recording is continuous and unaltered.
- Results will be available online on the FSW website on or before Monday, January 6, 2020.
- Accompanists are the responsibility of the finalists for competitions. Master class performers may use the staff accompanist or provide one at their own expense. Use of staff accompanist must be selected on your application.
- Flutists may enter more than one competition but can only be selected to perform in one event or competition at the flute convention.
- A preliminary or final round performance in excess of the maximum performance time allotted WILL disqualify the applicant.
- Incomplete applications will be subject to disqualification.
- Application fees and membership dues are not refundable.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- All competitions EXCEPT the Young Artist Competition are limited to performers who live or attend school in the Mid-Atlantic States (Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, North Carolina, West Virginia, Washington, DC, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania).
Student Master Class Performers
Young flutists will be selected to perform for the class, taught by local artists and teachers, at the Convention. The class is open to all students in grade 12 and under who attend school or are home-schooled in a Mid-Atlantic state as defined above. Music written for flute and keyboard must be recorded with both instruments, piano or music accompaniment track. Flutists who performed in a student Master Class at the 2019 convention are not eligible to participate in the 2020 class.
- Application fee $15.
- Submit a recording containing music of your choice, not to exceed 5 minutes.