The Flute Society of Washington Competitions
Mid-Atlantic Flute Convention
February 18-19, 2023
2024 Convention Competitions
The Flute Society of Washington, Inc.
Held at the Mid-Atlantic Flute Convention, February 17 & 18
Young Artist Competition:
Preliminary and Final Round: Valerie Coleman, Danza de la Mariposa, (Theodore Presser)
Collegiate Soloist Competition:
- Benjamin Godard, Suite de Trois Morceaux, Op. 116, III. Valse, (any edition for flute and piano)
- Katherine Hoover, Etudes for flute, No. 9 Allegro molto, (Papagena Press)
- Eugène Bozza, Image pour flute seule, (Leduc)
- G.P. Telemann, Fantasy No. 8 in e minor (no repeats), any edition
Preliminary & final round: Mike Mower, No. 24 You Know It’s Good For You from The Modern Flute Player, (Itchy Fingers)
Preliminary Round: Ernesto Köhler, No. 5 Allegretto from 35 Exercises for Flute, Op. 33, (any edition)
Final Round: Georges Bizet/arr. Simon Hunt, Seguidilla from A Bizet Notebook for solo flute, (Spartan Press)
Preliminary Round: Jacques Castérède, No. 1 Vivamente from Twelve Studies for Flute, (Leduc)
Final Round: Pierre-Octave Ferroud, Trois Pieces, I. Bergere Captive, (Salabert)
Mid-Atlantic HIgh School Flute Choir
- Franz Wilhelm Ferling/adapted by Cyrille Rose, No. 10 Allegro moderato from Thirty-two Rose Etudes for Flute, no accompaniment (Carl Fischer)
- Ernesto Köhler/ed. H. Voxman, Valse lento in G Major from Selected Studies, (Rubank)
- Ernesto Köhler No. 6 At the Fountain from 25 Romantic Etudes for flute, Op. 66, (any edition)
2024 General Competition Rules and Complete Competition Descriptions will be posted March 1, 2023.
2023 General Competition Information and Rules, applies to all competitions.
- An applicant must be a current FSW member at the time the entry is submitted.
- Required membership level for each competition:
- Young Artist - full or life membership
- Collegiate Soloist - student membership
- Honors Competition - student membership
- Mid-Atlantic High School Choir - student membership
- Guest Artist & Piccolo Masterclasses - full, life or student membership
- If chosen as a finalist, the applicant must be a current FSW member at the time of the convention and registered for the convention no later than January 20, 2023. Join or renew the Flute Society of Washington.
- All competitions EXCEPT the Young Artist Competition are limited to performers who live or attend school in the following Mid-Atlantic states: Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, North Carolina, West Virginia, Washington, DC, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
- For each competition an applicant must complete the online application which includes a fee payment and a uploaded audio file. The application, fee payment and audio file must be submitted by November 1, 2022 at 5:00 pm EDT. No late entries accepted. Online applications open August 8, 2022, 9:00 am EDT.
- If entering more than one competition, a separate application, fee and recording is required for each competition.
- Audio recordings MUST be an mp3, mp4a, m4a or wav file format. No video recordings accepted. Do not use ANY special characters in naming your file, such as " * : < > ? / \ | ' . Multiple files can be uploaded.
- Recordings should demonstrate the highest possible audio quality so the performance can be evaluated successfully. No speaking on the recording. Only a continuous performance of a movement or work is allowed. By uploading an audition file, the applicant agrees the recording is continuous and unaltered.
- Results will be available online on the FSW website on December 20, 2022.
- Flutists may enter more than one competition but can only perform in one event or competition.
- A preliminary or final round performance in excess of the maximum performance time allotted in any round WILL disqualify the flutist.
- Incomplete applications will be subject to disqualification.
- Application fees and membership dues are not refundable. Read and review all rules and requirements carefully.
- The decision of the judges is final.