The Flute Society of Washington Competitions
Mid-Atlantic Flute Convention
February 17-18, 2024
NOTICE - Honors Competition, Junior Division Required Repertoire Change
The original junior division final round repertoire is temporarily out of print.
The 2024 final round selection is now Gordon Jacob’s The Pied Per, 1. The Spell, Oxford University Press.
2024 General Competition Information, Rules, and Regulations
- All applicants must be a current FSW member at the time the entry is submitted.
- If chosen, as a finalist or convention performer, applicants must be a current FSW member at the time of the convention and registered for the convention no later than January 20, 2024. Join or renew the Flute Society of Washington.
- Competitions are open to members based on membership type as follows:
- Young Artist: full and life members
- Collegiate Soloist: student members
- Guest Artist Master Class Performer: life, full and student members
- Adult Amateur Performer Competition (held in even years): full and life members
- Piccolo Master Class Performer Competition (held in odd years): student, full and life members
- Mid-Atlantic High School Choir: student members
- Honors Competition: student members
- All competitions EXCEPT the Young Artist Competition are limited to performers who live or attend school in the following Mid-Atlantic states: Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, North Carolina, West Virginia, Washington, DC, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
- All applicants must complete an online application which includes a fee payment and a uploaded audio file. The application, fee payment, and audio file must be submitted by November 1, 2023 at 5:00 pm EDT. No late entries accepted. Online applications open September 1, 2023, 9:00 am EDT.
- If entering more than one competition, a separate application, fee and recording is required for each competition.
- Audio recordings MUST be an mp3, mp4a, m4a or wav file format. No video recordings accepted. There should be no descriptive metadata which would identify the applicant, except in the naming of the file. Do not use ANY special characters in naming your file, such as " * : < > ? / \ | ' . Multiple files can be uploaded.
- Recordings should demonstrate the highest possible audio quality so the performance can be evaluated successfully. No speaking on the recording. Only a continuous performance of a movement or work is allowed. By uploading an audition file, the applicant agrees the recording is continuous and unaltered.
- Results will be available online on the FSW website on December 15, 2023.
- Flutists may enter more than one competition, but can only perform in one event or competition.
- A preliminary or final round performance in excess of the maximum performance time allotted in any round WILL disqualify the flutist.
- Incomplete applications will be subject to disqualification.
- Application fees and membership dues are not refundable. Read and review all rules and requirements carefully.