The Junior Flute Choir will not be held at the 2021 Virtual Mid-Atlantic Flute Convention, but it will return for the 2022 Convention.
Thank you for your interest in the Junior Flute Choir!
The FSW Mid-Atlantic Junior Flute Choir offers advanced young flutists in grades 6 through 8, who have been studying privately for one full year or more, an opportunity to perform at the FSW Mid-Atlantic Flute Convention.
This Junior Flute Choir is unique in that its young members will work with and be directed by the composer of the composition performed, as well as perform alongside an adult piccolo and low flute section drawn from established flute choirs. In addition, this choir serves as an introduction to the FSW Mid-Atlantic High School Flute Choir.
- Each student should discuss participation with their private teacher before filling out the online application.
- FSW Membership is required of both the student applicant and their private teacher.
- Each private flute teacher can recommend up to three (3) students.
Participation is based on the following criteria:
1. Studied privately for one full year before registering for the Junior Choir.
2. Online private flute teacher recommendation which includes the check list listed below. Students should have accomplished the check list before registering for the choir.
a. clear tone
b. clean articulations
c. good intonation and able to tune oneself
d. range: low C to G3
e. able to play chromatic scale and major scales up to 4 flats and 4 sharps
f. rhythmic accuracy of dotted eighths/sixteenths and also even sixteenths
3. An uploaded audio file (mp3 or mp4a audio files only - no videos) which must include the following:
a. a two octave G Major scale and a two octave D chromatic scale; articulation and tempo at private teacher’s discretion
b. a ONE (1) minute solo of choice (no less)
4. Students MUST attend all scheduled rehearsals. There will be a full morning rehearsal and a warm-up rehearsal before the concert which is required of all participants.
- Registration opens in October before the upcoming convention. The Junior Choir will have an AM rehearsal and a warm-up rehearsal which are both on Saturday, at the convention. Times will be announced.
- Each young flutist and their private flute teacher must be an FSW member in order to participate. (student membership fee is $15.)
- The deadline to register for the Junior Choir is usually in December. (This is free. Be sure to sign up for the Junior Choir and NOT the Festival Flute Choir).
- The deadline to register for the FSW Mid-Atlantic Convention is typically in January. Student member convention preregistration fee TBA.
- The choir is limited to 30 members.
The non-flutist convention registration is not required IF the Junior Choir concert is the only event you are attending.
- If you will be attending other events in addition to the Junior Choir, including the exhibit hall; there is a $15.00 non-flutist convention registration fee per person. Non-flutist registration is located on the student member registration form, in addition to lunch options. The non-flutist registration can also be purchased during the convention at the registration desk.
- An unlimited number of guests are welcome to attend your flutist’s Junior Choir concert held on Saturday of the convention weekend with no fee. Time TBA.