Junior Flute Choir
Mid-Atlantic Flute Convention
February 17-18, 2024
The FSW Mid-Atlantic Junior Flute Choir offers advanced young flutists in grades 6 through 8, who have been studying privately for one full year or more, an opportunity to perform at the Mid-Atlantic Flute Convention.
This Junior Flute Choir is unique in that its young members will work with and be directed by the composer of the composition performed, as well as perform alongside an adult piccolo and low flute section drawn from established flute choirs. In addition, this choir serves as an introduction to the FSW Mid-Atlantic High School Flute Choir.
- Each student should discuss participation with their private teacher before filling out the online application.
- FSW Membership is required of both the student applicant and their private teacher.
- Each private flute teacher can recommend up to three (3) students.
- Registration opens Oct. 3, 2023.
- The choir is limited to 25 members.
Participation is based on the following criteria:
1. Studied privately for one full year before registering for the Junior Choir.
2. Online private flute teacher recommendation which includes the check list listed below. Students should have accomplished the check list before registering for the choir.
a. clear tone
b. clean articulations
c. good intonation and able to tune oneself
d. range: low C to G3
e. able to play chromatic scale and major scales up to 4 flats and 4 sharps
f. rhythmic accuracy of dotted eighths/sixteenths and also even sixteenths
3. An uploaded audio file (mp3 or mp4a audio files only - no videos) which must include the following:
a. a two octave G Major scale and a two octave D chromatic scale; articulation and tempo at private teacher's discretion
b. a ONE (1) minute solo or etude of choice (no less)
4. Students MUST attend all scheduled rehearsals. There will be a full morning rehearsal and a warm-up rehearsal before the concert which is required of all participants.
- Attendance at both rehearsals and the concert is required.
- Each young flutist and their private flute teacher must be an FSW member in order to participate. (student membership fee is $20.)
- The deadline to register for the Junior Choir is December 15, 2023.
- There is no additional fee to join the Junior Flute Choir, except a current FSW membership and convention registration.
- Junior Choir applicants should not sign up for the Festival Flute Choir on the convention registration form.
- The deadline to register for the FSW Mid-Atlantic Convention is typically in January.
- The choir is limited to 25 members.
2023 Junior Flute Choir
This year, the 2024 Junior Flute Choir welcomes back Phyllis Avidan Louke, who last graced the Junior Choir in 2018. Together, we are thrilled to perform her composition, My Secret Garden.
Phyllis Avidan Louke, an Altus Artist, is principal flute with Tilikum Chamber Orchestra and Oregon Symphonic Band, Music Director of Rose City Flute Choir, and an active chamber musician. She teaches privately, adjudicates and freelances in Portland, Oregon. Ms. Louke, a member of ASCAP, has been arranging and composing for the flute since 1990. Her arrangements and compositions have been winners and finalists in the annual National Flute Association Newly Published Music Competition. Her music is published by ALRY Publications, Theodore Presser Company, Falls House Press, Nourse Wind Publications, and SMP Press. She has also co-written an award-winning series of pedagogical publications with Patricia George published by Theodore Presser Company.
But here's the twist—can you keep a secret? We're on the hunt for talented young flutists (grades 6-8) who can hold onto a big musical surprise. In addition to My Secret Garden, the Junior Choir will perform a surprise piece, arranged by Ms. Louke herself.
If you think you have what it takes to keep a secret, register now, and we'll reveal it to you in due time. Applications will be accepted from October 5, 2023, through December 15, 2023. The grand reveal will take place at the Mid-Atlantic Flute Convention.
We hope to see you there!
The non-flutist convention registration is not required IF the Junior Choir concert is the only event parents are attending.
- If you will be attending other events in addition to the Junior Choir, including the exhibit hall, there is a non-flutist convention registration fee per person. Non-flutist registration is located on the student member registration form, in addition to lunch options. The non-flutist registration can also be purchased during the convention at the registration desk.
- An unlimited number of guests are welcome to attend your flutist's Junior Choir concert held during convention weekend with no fee. Time TBA.
Junior Choir Application Information
A student membership in the Flute Society is required to enter the Junior Flute Choir.
Login to the FSW website then return to this page to access the application.
Not a Flute Society member? Click here to join the Flute Society, then return to this page.
Need to renew your membership? Click here to renew your membership, then return to this page.